Sunday, December 16, 2007

Don't ask . . . EVER

So I searched all over You Tube to find the comedian Brian Regan's bit where he says

Don't ever ask a woman if she is pregnant. Ever, Ever, ever ,ever.


So I went to a Christmas party that an old coworker of mine "D" has every year (she's also an older coworker). I worked with her 5 almost 6 years ago. Every year she has a party and it's the same party with the same snacks and the same things. So I love to go. So I got the invite and called one of my good friends "T" who was my supervisor, and we decided to sync our arrival. Hy was working so it was me with the three kids.

So we walk in and I of course go to find her to say hello. I'm holding Squoosh, and the other two are right behind me. Directly behind them is my friend "T". So as I walk up to "D" she says

"Look at you with all of your kids" and then reaches and pats my stomach and says "and one on the way"

SSSSSCCCRRRRREEEEEEEEEECCCCCHHHHH (oh no she didn't)

So I say "No I'm not, but thanks" "I have recently joined a gym though"

And she just kind of chuckles and moves on to greet "T".

So "T", "T's" husband and I and my three kids (and one on the way) go outside (of course after I go to the snack table---I am eating for two you know) and discuss what a shocking thing that just happened and how one should. Never, ever under any circumstances suggest that someone is pregnant.

I do have to admit that I have a "beer" belly. That third kid did me in. And I think because I'm small people tend to think that it's ok, because the only weight I do have is in my stomach, so therefore I must be pregnant. But luckily I have an indesctructable self esteem and found it quite humorous. Although if I have more encounters like that, I just might vomit . . . on purpose.

14 comments:

Mimi said...

nice, gotta love how tacky people can be, but it is true about the beer belly, but for whatever reason it's really cute on you! Hee, Hee! Is she the one with the ferrero roche? is that what it is? you know the chocolate candies you always look forward to?

Crazymamaof6 said...

oh my gosh! that kills me! i was dying laughing! good thing you ahve a great self concept! becuase holy cow that is tacky! and RUDE! it happened to me at the company party. which sucked. especially because they then thought we were dumb enough to have 7 kids! we are but not right now! holy cow!~ after 3 kids your Body is never the same!

Micah and Jen said...

What a "beer" belly??? Who gets one of those after 3 kids.....HE HE HE! And none of you get to see mine! :) Anyhow, soooo tacky! I ONLY say something to people that are so huge they are going to burst.....and then I ONLY ever say that they look fabulous and terrific.....you know to boost their self esteem! Is this your FAMOUS party that you always talked about? How was the awesome food????

Micah and Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
onehm said...

Dude:
That.
is.
so.
wrong.


Bummer!!

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me! You look great, and you DONT look pregnant...for pete sake!

Meghan said...

I could maybe forgive the statement, but the pat on the belly... Nuh uh...
I had the Brian Regan bit on my blog before I changed to Christmas music - here's the clip http://www.brian-regan.com/audio/ClipBrianReganLive-YouToo.mp3
The Baaaaaby... is about 1/2 way through. I had one of my teachers ask me if I was pregnant in high school. For sure... I was a walking stick - besides the fact that I was about as innocent as you could get. Some people are just dumb - but sounds like her party food was somewhat redeeming!

Meghan said...

Don't know if the last one worked-
http://www.brian-regan.com/audio/
ClipBrianReganLive-YouToo.mp3

liz said...

"indesctructable self esteem "

I love that. I am going to go with that plan, sometimes people tell me things that come out wrong and worry I will be offended, but it really would take a lot to offend me. I think I might be in the same
indesctructable self esteem club? Sometimes anyway. It's a good club to be part of.

Jami Broadbent said...

holy.crap. that is hilarious!

Cicily said...

The good thing is that this normally only happens to fat people. The average person knows not to ask the fat girl that. So I guess you can rest a little easier. That is a gem of a story, thank you for sharing.

diana said...

oh no she didn't.

she did.

and with a belly pat??

wow.

i had to hurry up and actually get pregnant to prevent that from happening to me.

kayleen said...

thanks for the pics!


and you should of slapped that girl. who does that?

Karen said...

WOw, any normal person knows not to say ANYTHING like that unless you absolutely know they are pregnant....what the *&#%!! Especially at a party in front of people!