Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Morning Post

I'm teaching today a lesson on Self Discipline. It focuses on the points that there are two forms of self-discipline. The Self Discipline TO do things. And the Self Discipline NOT TO do things. I like it. Here are some gems I found in the lesson:


“One of the false notions of our society is that we are victims of our appetites and passions. But the truth is that the body is controlled by the spirit which inhabits it”

--Terrance D. Olson


“When you are overtaken in a fault, or commit an overt act unthinkingly; when you are full of evil passion, and wish to yield to it, then stop and let the spirit, which God has put into your tabernacles, take the lead. If you do that, I will promise that you will overcome all evil, and obtain eternal lives”

--Brigham Young

And if you have the time and want a VERY inspirational article by Robert D. Hales. It was written to the young men, but it is great for young women and anyone really. It's so great I wrote it down in my Quote Journal (I keep a list of my FAVORITE articles so I can use them in the future) Read it HERE.

Here is a little snippet:

"[Now is the time to] be there. Each of us was there in the Council in Heaven to choose the great plan of happiness we now enjoy. Young men, when you have made a commitment to yourself, your family, your bishop, your employer, be there. When it is time to be in church, at Mutual, or fulfilling a priesthood assignment, be there. When it is time to graduate from school or training programs, be there. When it is time to serve a mission, be there. When the young woman you love most kneels at the altar of God’s holy temple, be there (and not as a witness). When your family is gathered in the celestial kingdom, be there. When the Savior waits to greet you as you return with honor from your life on this earth and your Heavenly Father wants to encircle you about in the arms of His love, be there."

2 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

Such great thoughts! Very inspirational, and I'll be going back to read the article by Robert D. Hales. Thanks for sharing.

Summer said...

I havnt been to your blog in a while and Jill your little girls (ok boy too) but the girls are seriously soo dang cute. From the way you blog I think your house would be a super fun place to be a fly-on-the-wall and people watch. :)