Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happiness

I was lying on the ground with the kids watching a show, when I got that feeling. That feeling that I get every once in a while where I realize that THIS is what it's about. Happiness, contentment, elation, almost giddiness inside that all I've ever wanted--I have. I'm not sure everyone can say that. I feel spoiled. It's all about the little things:

Watching "Anne of Green Gables" with Annabelle and seeing her GENUINELY giggle and smirk at the best parts

Playing GO FISH (Mickey Mouse version) with Josie and having her ask "Do you have the Mickey who is vacuuming (it's actually a flashlight he's holding), or "Do you have Goopy?" or "Do you have the Daisy Duck that looks like this" (and she mimicks her stance)

Noticing that Kizzy is not around and KNOWING that she is being stealth in the pantry with some sort of sweet she need not be eating.

Watching Beck in the first stage of walking with Frankenstein arms and Charlie Chaplin legs

Seeing Hyrum get his books and looking genuinely eager to start school. He's so good at it.


I think what makes it so great, is that other things aren't so great at the same time. Kizzy doesn't have a bed and sleeps on the floor--because we can't afford buying her one, we have to borrow money to live on just to get Hyrum through school--so we're broke as anything, and my tooth is jacked and needs fixing.

These things just make the other things even greater.

This is my life. And I love it.

6 comments:

troy and melani said...

hey, hang in there, someday when you have money in your pocket it will be worth all the sacrifices through school!! I know!!! It will go by quick and you will say, hey that wasnt so bad!

Cicily said...

You do have it all Jill. Your family is great, Hy is great and you are great. Really, even with the hard stuff you've got it made.

Except for the budget thing, that is crap.

Angie Startin said...

I know this sounds trite and cliche but I know exactly how you are feeling. We are there...I am there. I know Brett just graduated, but we have been doing that for the last 9 years and it is going to take us a while to get on our feet. I feel like even though we don't talk all the time, we have kind of gone through this journey over the last 4-7 years or so, together. Not everyone can understand it. Speaking of not talking much, I was going to call you sometime soon...just a heads up :)

Micah and Jen said...

hey, who needs money!?! It's sooo over rated! :) Besides, it's all those little things that you love about your life that your kids are going to remember and love too! You're such a great mom!!!

kayleen said...

i slept on the floor for almost 4 years of my life because we just didn't have enough beds. some of my best memories.

Snarky Belle said...

I totally get it! And, you are so wise.