Friday, August 7, 2009

A Random Sappy Thought

Tonight while we were filling the time between dinner and bedtime, I let the girls play on my computer. So while Kizzy and Josie were playing on PBSKIDS.ORG (that's how they say it) Annabelle and I were playing with Beck on the floor. We sat feet apart each of us criss-cross legged as we took turns turning Beck away from our bodies and sending him wobbling to the other. At first he would stumble and fall. Then he would take a few steps, then reach arms high into the air and fall. Slowly he got more steady, stood for longer periods of time, and balanced his steps. Her and I laughed and clapped and hugged him repeatedly saying "He's so cute! I love this kid!" and things of that sort. Then after 10 or 15 minutes of back and forth, Beck angled himself toward the door while Annabelle had him. He didn't want to walk to me, he wanted to walk out the door. She kept trying to direct him back towards me, but I told her to release him and we'll see where he goes.

Then he was steady on his feet. Then a few steps with a big smile . . . and steady again . . . then even more steps and arms out for balance and he stopped. Then he started. Meanwhile Annabelle and I exchanged glances of surprise and delight. He was doing it---and he was good. He went for a good 5 feet or so. Then he flopped face forward, giggled and crawled speedily down the hall.

It was fantastic. Those moments as a parent that you love. Milestones. And Annabelle said "We need to call Dad!" . "Yes we do--he'll be so excited" I told her. It was fun to share it with Annabelle she was just as excited and rewarded as I.

We haven't called Hy yet, because he's at the beginning of his shift so he's busy, so we'll wait till he calls.

I got the girls to get in their pajamas and prepare for movie night, and while they were doing so, I checked my Google Reader and caught up on CJane's blog. The entry where she talks about her interview with Matt Lauer. And that caused me to think of parents that miss those moments.

Then RANDOMLY I thought of a girl in my ward, whose husband is serving in Afghanistan. The only times I've really talked to her is in the hall because she has a son that is the same age as mine. I think they are only a few weeks apart, so they are going through the same stage (except her kid crawled before mine). So then I was thinking how her husband is missing this part. Then I realized---I think MOST husbands miss this part. Unfortunately, he misses all of it. But I thought back to all of our kids and the things they learned, and I remember telling Hyrum about them--because he missed it. He was providing at some job or another, so that I could be home to see those moments. And I thought, maybe that might be some comfort to that Dad--it's his first kid. Just so that he knows, that Dads that are around miss a lot of the moments. The significant moments of childhood. Not only dad's who are a world away.

I think that is something they are called to do. Provide. And miss out.

That's sad

but


also


NOBLE.

4 comments:

onehm said...

Amen.

And perfectly sappy. Loved it.

Micah and Jen said...

aren't we the lucky ones to have such great guys that actually care what their kiddos do. what a wonderful blessing! great post!

Anonymous said...

Looks like another fantastic block is brewing! Always fun to visit here!
thanks for sharing...
___________________
Melvin
Online Marketing of your brand

Snarky Belle said...

LOVED this post!