Thursday, August 16, 2007

Red's First Day

Dropping her off at her school as a NIGHTMARE. There is a driveway that wraps around the school, where drop off parents pull up and drop their kids off. I was there in plenty of time (10 minutes before the bell). all of the drop off zones were full with parents who parked there and walked their kids in. It would be ok if it were the Kindergarten kids. But no--EVERY parent walked their kid in. Which again would be fine--if they used parking spaces instead of the drop off zone. So I couldn't even pull over anywhere to let her out. She only needed to go to the Kindergarten playground. So I had to do one slow round of the school and come back to where I started and it was now 8:03. She needed to be in class by 8:05. so I pulled up and parked in a no parking zone, in front of some garbage cans and consequently blocking in someone. Then I had to run the Kindergarten playground. A random staff member pointed me to an over crowded outside hallway that had a blob of parents and little kids. Luckily I chose a good direction and happened to run into Red's teacher who was saying--"Now we are only missing Red". I said "Here she is" and shoved her into the glob of Kindergartners. I gave her a swift kiss and stepped back. The teacher said--Ok follow me. So the blob followed and I needed to run back to the car that had The Juice sitting inside it and panicking (I was sure of that). So I turned around and walked off. Then I heard Red's voice saying "Mom", and by the time I figured out it was her--I turned around just to see her turning back around and running to catch up to her class. So I imagine she saw me just walking away. I felt bad. Then I get to the car and the juice is sobbing because she didn't get to go to the playground. She sobs all the way home about the injustice of it all. Then as I go to get her out I notice the camera on the front seat. OH CRAP--I MISSED TAKING A PICTURE. crap crap crap. Oh well. I know most mom's cried as they walked their kid to Kindergarten. I tried. I sat and concentrated at the thought of my little girl growing up. NOTHIN. Truth is--I was stoked to see her go. She is so bored at home and there comes a time when kids are done being at home with mama. Her time is now. Oh--and she loved Kindergarten. Loves it everyday--even loves her homework.

Oh and her cool outfit was one her Dad got when school shopping--he rocks. As for the folder--we were good parents and let her pick her own. So of course out of all the options we set before her (none of them being a kitty folder), she looked past us onto the shelf and said "I want the Kitty One" Of course she did. And that's what she got.

7 comments:

blah, blah by lindsey said...

she looks so cute. don't you just love the confusion and wonder of the first day of school

Crazymamaof6 said...

ok love the out fit! HY rocks at picking clothes! and the folder! love that too because she dug it! and ya know a folder is better than a backpack or a shirt.

i didn't feel a bit sad when i took my first to school! maybe a little worried but otherwise i was stoked to send them off! all of them but this youngest girl and even her i am pretty ok with! i m always ready to let them grow up. i might come to regret that later but right now i am digging the freedom, and they are diggin' the wonder of learnin' new things and new friends. way to go for not crying!
DON'T YOU HATE HOW THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL IS A NIGHT MARE WITH PARENTS THAT JUST CAN'T LET GO? WTH? WALKING THE BIG KIDS UP? AND PARKING IN THE KINDERGARTEN DROP OFF! GAY!

sarah said...

don't get me wrong, i know m. was/is ready for kindergarten. the thing that made those tears come is knowing that this is the last time in that little boy's life that we are his entire world. we can protect him from most of the hurts and heartache that growing up entails. but that all ends when he's "out there." and i am terrified of that little boy getting hurt. i wish i didn't worry so much.

Lindsay Nichole said...

Rad outfit! Good job for cool dads! Your girls are so freakin' cute!

Micah and Jen said...

What a fun story....and so totally you guys! I honestly NEVER dreamed you would cry on her first day...it's just not you or her. I bet she was so very excited and I of course LOVE the kitty folder--finding it hilarious! Glad her first day was a memorable one and her outfit rocks--great job HY!

Jami Broadbent said...

I can't believe she is in kindergarten. That makes you an old lady you know. She is so spankin cute!

Lindsay Nichole said...

yes! caprece's daughter!!