Friday, February 5, 2010

Patches

Photobucket

My girls have worn holes in so many of their jeans that I just bought in August. I was going to donate their jeans to Goodwill, but then I realized that no one else wants jeans with holes in the knees. So they just sat in my close on the floor until I figured out what to do.

Then it came to me. Patch them with fabric I already have, and add stitching.

If you want to play along here are the instructions:

*Purchase Heat n' Bond from a fabric store. (I purchased normal Heat n' Bond, but I think I'll go back and purchase the Ultra Heat n' Bond for the rest because then you don't have to sew if you don't want to). It was $1.99 a yard. So cheap!

*Got out my trusty bucket of fabric scraps. Cut out a square that was bigger than the heart shape I was going to use.

*Cut the Heat n' Bond to match the size of the fabric I just cut.

*Follow instructions on Heat n' Bond (actually confusing). But you take the piece of the heat n bond with the side that doesn't have the paper on it and stick it to the WRONG side of your fabric. Then put it on an ironing board with the paper side up (which would make the right side of the fabric against the ironing board) and iron for two seconds. And then hooray! It's stuck together like one piece of fabric.

*Take a cookie cutter (or template of some sort) and draw around it with a pencil on the paper side of the fabric piece.

*Cut it out

*Peel the paper off and stick the patch over the hole.

*Iron for 8 seconds

*Diggity Done!

*I added a stitch around with embroidery thread. Super easy.

This is what it looks like up close:




So cute huh! I love it, I'm currently patching it up around here with any of my girl's jeans I can find. I've only done hearts, but I want to try stars and squares.

So cheap! It cost me maybe $.30 to patch that.

I feel so thrifty. And crafty.

7 comments:

angie said...

so cute Jill! I love that picture too!

lara said...

this looks like a craft i could pull off. i love it!

Jenni said...

WAY cute! I don't know if Cam would go for the hearts though...he he he But I am totally going to steal the hear idea for the girls when they get older....because it is just too dang cute!!!

MaMaMaMandy said...

Nice work! I love when it all works out- and even better than at first thought!

Jami Broadbent said...

so freaking cute!!

Sheri said...

That's way cute. Thank you for the instructions. I'm going to try it.

Crazymamaof6 said...

darling! and so crafty. kudos.

I'm so cheap i buy my kids jeans at thrift stores on 50% off day, then if they get holes i don't feel bad chucking them.

and since i get them so cheap i buy lots, so by the time they get holey they have outgrown them.