Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Vetans Day

Today I thought it was important to teach the kids that Veterans Day just isn't a day off from school. So off we went to the parade. I went down early to get a spot and the kids were just playing around. I spotted a veteran sitting all by himself just behind us. So I told the kids to go up to him and say "Thank you for serving our country" or something of the like. They were too shy so I sweetened the deal and told them they got 5 mini candy bars each if they did it. They were still a bit shy about it but off they went. They were out of ear shot for me to hear what was going on, but the smile on his face said it all. It was great, they stayed there and talked to him for 15 minute about who knows what. They did come back later and report to me that he was in the marines and his great grandfather fought in the civil war. I was proud of them. It was great to see so many veterans, most of them donning some sort of apparel to identify their service. I wish the kids could have gone to each and every one of them. Next year, we're going to come up with something.

So as the parade started I taught the kids (like my parents taught me) to stand when a flag is being presented. So we stood, with hands over hearts as the initial flag passed. Then each time a flag passed we stood. But since it was Veterans day, about every other parade entry had a flag. That was a lot of standing and sitting. So I told the kids, due to the circumstance, they could sit. Then I noticed, that same gentleman they spoke to. He stood for every flag . . . and saluted. I appreciate our freedom, but I think he does more. Which reminded me of this quote that is coming from memory so it's as close as I can get:

"For those who fought, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

I think my generation and others only vaguely understand. I kept turning around to check, and sure enough there he stood, saluting EVERY time. And another veteran in a scooter and with a cane struggled each time to stand. And there I sat. I won't ever understand. I can IMAGINE. But I don't know. Before the parade started a WWII plane flew over head a few times. I sat there thinking, how great that must have been to the prisoners, or soldiers who were feeling like they were alone and were fighting or waiting for something and to see those planes fly over head. Then they knew they were free or someone was there to help. I think there is so much to learn from that generation and the others who fought in the following wars. Wars that involved people that others were connected to. I'm not connected to anyone serving right now. I feel so distanced. And the wars seem so separate, so unpersonal. That's the only way I can explain it.

So I'm glad I went to the parade for the lessons I learned today. And hopefully my kids learned a little to.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were there too!

Micah and Jen said...

that's amazing Jill! I am super impressed that you did this for your children. My kids didn't even get out of school for it! I don't know why it wasn't even celebrated here in Idaho. Sad. Thanks for sharing another amazing post! :)

Snarky Belle said...

It probably sounds strange, but I want to say thank you. Thank you for all that you are instilling in your children. I feel new hope for our future when I remember mothers like you. Love to you.

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome! ok i admit, i might have gotten dewy eyed about the kids chat with the Vetran. AWESOME! way to go JILL! and that quote rocks.

thanks for sharing. maybe next year i'll forgo the bargain hunting for some patriotic celebrating.