Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Doing the dishes

I was doing the dishes after breakfast this morning, and I was running the hot water from the tap and rinsing the dishes, then putting them into the dishwasher. And I thought, "I love HOT water" . And then I thought how I'm pretty good at not wasting water--and that made me remember that one time I heard that Jennifer Anniston only takes 3 minute showers to conserve water. Good for her--not for me. So then I thought how I take long hot showers and how I LOVE every minute of it. Then that made me think of the term "carbon footprint". Then that made me think of Leonardo DiCaprio and Al Gore.

I have always wanted a show like 20/20 or something to do a comparison. A TRUE comparison of celebrities versus a family like mine. I don't think anyone would ever do it properly because media is biased. But if someone could, I want them to look REALLY LOOK at the environmental impact that I have compared to any of them. They jet around the world making speeches and creating videos all about what we SHOULD be doing for our planet. The only trips I will make today will be to run my kids 1/4 mile to the bus stop, and possibly 3 miles to the gym. And maybe, if it's a spicy day, I may go 1/2 mile to the grocery store. And that's a big day during the work week.

I recycle, anything and everything I can. I don't let the water run while I brush my teeth. I only wash FULL loads of laundry. And I don't think I'm that environmentally friendly. But I guarantee you that the movies that they are in create quite a footprint.

THINK ABOUT IT. How hypocritical is someone that takes a PRIVATE jet with full crew to different places around the world and tell everyone to "conserve, live GREEN"? Guess what, Dear Al, there is a thing called "Technology". It's called teleconferencing. I'm pretty sure with your connections you could hook up with a local TV crew and stream your round face to the EU or Russia or Madagascar. HMMMM, no jet fuel, no emissions from the limo, etc. etc. Well hell, if that doesn't work, you can come use my MAC with the built in camera and you could ichat away. Or make a video on photobooth and put it on you tube. EVEN CHEAPER! And if that doesn't work, you could at least call up Leo. Maybe you could jet pool to your next summit--they might even let you fly in the fast lane.

So bring it on. Let's compare. I'll take you on with not only me, but add in my husband and four kids. In fact, you could probably factor in most of my neighbors and it wouldn't even come CLOSE. We are too middle class for that.

It's all of us who actually live and do, more than those who talk and front. We are the ones making up for everyone else. But we are used to that--aren't we.

And THAT makes me proud.

8 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

like always....you say it just how we all feel it!:) LOVE IT! And yep, I LOVE LOVE LOVE HOT SHOWERS TOO!!!

rant said...

Al Gore uses 3x more energy and fuel in one month than the average family does in a year. He also refuses to stop eating meat even though it’s been proven that meat production is the number one contributor of harmful green house gases in the environment. PETA calls him out on it all the time. He doesn’t care about the environment. He cares about money. Claiming the world has a temperature and is going to overheat is the newest billion dollar industry and another excuse to tax people and small business to death. A new study done by Professor Richard Lindzen at MIT completely disproves global warming and shows we're actually on a temperature down trend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n961a8lSs6Y Lord Monckton, a climate change expert and former advisor to England’s PM Margaret Thatcher, has asked Al Gore repeatedly to sit down with him in a televised debate on Global Warning. Al Gore refuses.

Bing said...

Well.
It's certainly true that you are probably living a far, far more sustainable life that all of those celebrities-- one of the biggest contributors to a carbon footprint is the size of living space.
I am very proud of everything you're doing.
However, I think that the awareness they are raising shouldn't be undervalued. I think that everyone has something to contribute to keeping our lovely planet healthy, and that we should applaud all efforts to conserve.
I also think it's impossible to judge any of their motives. I mean, I don't know Al Gore. He could be a terrible person or he could be truly pure in heart, but there's know way I can know. What I do know is that when he spoke, people listened. I am really happy and proud of you for what you do. But really, why put down any efforts. I say: yay for everyone, yay for Mother Earth!

Crazymamaof6 said...

well said jill! KUDOS!

rant said...

Why should Al Gore be thanked for raising awareness of a threat that DOESN’T EXSIST? Global Warming was a theory, which has now been proved false by actual science. I think you can judge a person's motives by their actions. Does his lifestyle reflect what he's preaching? Is he himself doing anything to lessen his "carbon footprint"? NO. However it is interesting to note that coincidently he does stands to make a Huge Profit off of his Global Warming Alarmism. Al Gore will make BILLIONS from Cap-and-Trade if when it passes.

Bing said...

Well, in terms of whether a legitimate problem... I think we will have to agree to disagree. I mean, you pretty much believe or you don't.
However, I really don't think we can tell what he does or doesn't do for the earth in his personal life, and we should just try not to judge anybody. You know?

rant said...

you're nice

kayleen said...

living modestly (home size, less waste, satisfying needs over wants, etc.), i think is an important part of being stewards of this earth. there are a lot of "green" people out there who are a load of crap. it's become trendy to pretend to care. live with less, waste less, you know?

that being said, a 3 minute shower just makes me sad. (and walking those diaper boxes out to the recycle bin is just sometimes too far a walk.)