Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sunday Post

One of the 14 year old girls gave the lesson today on Education.

These were my two favorite quotes she used.

"Too great care cannot be taken in educating our young ladies. Great responsibilities will devolve upon them. To their hands will be mainly committed the formation of the moral and intellectual character of the young. Let the women of our country be made intelligent, and their children will certainly be the same. The proper education of a man decides his welfare; but the interests of a whole family are secured by the correct education of a woman”
------George Q. Cannon


“Education has always been recognized by the Church as the number one obligation of each generation to its successor and of each individual to himself. Each one of us is a divinely endowed, eternal, and intelligent being. It is incumbent upon us, therefore, to encourage and keep alive the questing spirit, to learn and continue to learn everything possible about ourselves, our fellowmen, our universe, and our God”

----Hugh B. Brown

1 comment:

Bing said...

I find the first quote interesting, though I think the principle is more universally applicable that he would imply-- I mean, I think men have just as much responsibility as women when it comes to being able to show their children the world, and I also think this idea goes for more than just parent-child relationships. So much of what I've learned has been from rather unlikely people-- my parents and teachers are, of course, my primary educators, but I think a formal education is also valuable because of what we can teach friends, strangers, spouses, even parents and teachers.