Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spiritual Side

What you never see from me here is my spiritual side. I've considered doing Sunday posts for a while, but one of my goals is to stay away from the computer on Sunday--so that never worked. But here I am today so I thought I'd do it.

Most people know or have figured out that I am Mormon. I was raised Mormon by a religious mother with Mormon Pioneer heritage and my father, who is not Mormon, was raised by a very Bible loving mother. She never wore pants because she swore that somewhere in the Bible its said that women shouldn't wear them. But he isn't nor ever has been (in my memory) religious. If ever I'd ask he'd say "I've seen things", which assume means he has seen things that makes him believe there is no God. My father has a HUGE heart and I assume he can't stand the idea that bad things happen to people and that if there was a God--those things wouldn't happen. So now out of my family my sister and I go to church, and my two brothers don't. Kind of funny how that split.

Anyhow. I believe what my church teaches. And I believe Mormons who follow the teachings of our church are good people. I also think most people who subscribe to other religions are good people. There is a misconception that Mormons think that other religions are wrong. We don't. We think there are great teachings in many religions. We read and believe in the Bible, so how could we think other religions were wrong? We don't. I have many friends who are other religions. Good people. All of them. The difference is that we believe we have MORE information. Additional scripture as well as a Prophet of God living today that can give us revelation. He reveals to us things that God wants us to know and be focused on now. It makes sense to me. Perfect sense.

What I figure is this:

Either Joseph Smith saw what he saw or he didn't. It's that simple. I believe he did, or he wouldn't have gone through that much persecution. And it wasn't easy to be an early Mormon. I don't think those people would have suffered what they did if he didn't seem like a prophet of God.

And, if in the end, when I die, it turns out that I was wrong . . . that he was wrong--- Well then I would have lived a good life. A life with family as an emphasis, and good values, surrounded by good people----a happy life.

But I think that won't be the case.

3 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Another good post. And I believe what your church teaches, too. =)

Snarky Belle said...

AMEN! That's just how I feel about things...are you shocked???

Micah and Jen said...

great post! You put it so well....and it's good to hear your spirtual side every now and then! :)