Monday, March 16, 2009

I puffy heart gas stations


As I was filling up our Suburban today at the gas station with all the kids loaded in the car I got a giddy feeling. It was nostalgic, it was excitement, it was adventure. That's when I realize that I love gas stations. I was looking at my kids with their Sonic drinks in hand, just happy to be out anywhere other than the house. And I remember that feeling. Gas stations meant we were going Somewhere--Anywhere. Mostly it brought back memories of trips to the Lake as a kid. Everyone would pull up and gas up before we left. And if we were lucky we could get a soda or a candy bar. It also brought back memories of college days when we'd Road Trip--again to somewhere--anywhere. Or just stopping for a soda before our day of thrift shopping. It wasn't ever a bad memory, it wasn't drab, it wasn't the getting gas, it was the symbol of what the adventure was.

It was fun to lean in the car with my elbows on the seat and talk to Annabelle as she was sipping her grape slush. She was having fun. We were getting gas, and making a memory, a little--life is good--memory. She'll remember times like these, or times when Hyrum takes her on dates just to get a drink at QT. Who knew that gas stations were more than gas?

Cheers to Gas Station memories. *clink* (of our gas station drinks)

4 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks gas stations are cool! My kids and I have a geat time at them and they always tell me how much they love my goofy faces that scare them when I'm pumping! I, however, don't pump my own gas in the winter....too cold and my sweet hubby does it for me! I'm glad it's spring! :)

Anonymous said...

I am with you. I love hitting the gas station, usually Friday after school, for a treat. Always on our way out of town, that's the best part of the trip!

Snarky Belle said...

I puffy heart gas stations too! When I was a kid, I wanted to work at at gas station! Thanks for this little trip down memory lane. Sweet.

Andréa Morrow said...

Nice.. I wish I liked gas stations as much as you.. too bad for me, I procrastinate getting gas as I coast in on empty.