Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Patch #2

Remember last year when I had to patch jeans? Well I patched them super cute with printed fabric. Trouble is, that one of my daughters plays hard at recess and those too got holes in them. Fastforward to this year. It's the end of the year, and I just got a call from her teacher letting me know that she has come to school for 3 days straight with holes in her jeans. (who friggin cares? it's the end of the year, I bet all of the kids with high waters aren't getting phone calls). But whatever, rules are rules. So I got together with my friend Julia. And we patched. This time I cut up an old pair of jeans and used that denim to make patches. Still turned out cute. Not as cute as fun prints, but still cute.

Photobucket

Want to makes some of your own? Here's how:

Get some Ultra Heat n'Bond. You can get it at a fabric store. It's usually prepackaged.

Get an old pair of jeans.

Get cookie cutters for shapes.

Take a big section of the jeans and follow the instructions on the heat n'bond to get it to stick to the denim.

Then trace your cookie cutters, then cut out the shape.

Iron it on to the hole in pants.

Then take some embroidery thread and do a whip stitch around the edge, or a straight stitch on the inside. I used colorful ones one some, and cream colored on others.

And then if you do this . . .

you may not get a call from the teacher.

Photobucket


***note*** I am so glad my daughter goes to a school where she doesn't get made fun of for this. In fact her friends thought it was pretty cool.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Those turned out totally CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Ha! This is funny. I blogged about dress codes and rule breaking today. ;) I love the patches, by the way. :D

Nicole said...

Love this idea!!! They turned out so cute.

Julia said...

Jill - so it turns out that the patches I put on Sam's pants (on the inside) are not allowed! Can you belive....as iffffff! Anywhoodles, Sam came home from school with silver duct tape covering the holes on his pants. Like that is better than an inside patch (jeans that are in the stores now with patches on the inside have shredded holes at the knees and thighs). He said the nurse taped it because, "you have to patch the holes on the outside only, school rules." Uh. What-ev!