Sunday, September 6, 2009

Daughter of Eve



If you don't have this book--get it. NOW. If you have any question about your divine role as a woman--or a where a woman's "place" is--get it. Other than the scriptures, no other book makes me more empowered and feel more sacred than this one. Eve made a wonderful decision. And it was that--a decision. Not a mistake, she wasn't fooled. She knew what she was doing--she UNDERSTOOD--what the decision brought on. She didn't fully understand everything, as none of us do with the choices we make. But she KNEW. And she was a wise woman who was there in the councils of heaven along with all of the other major players in the story. She was noble and valiant and GREAT. So much is lost in translation, and this book reveals the context of language and has really enlightened me on so much of the whole Adam and Eve story. I wish I could quote all of this book and tell you all about the parts that make me so excited about her.

This quote struck me today. It is probably more powerful to me, because there was so much in the chapter before it, but still. It's brilliant:

(the author it talking about her colleague, Clare Hardy Johnson, whom she had lengthy conversations with regarding the subject of this book)

'As an impassioned advocate for our beloved mother Eve, Clare declared that to accept the idea of a "lucky guess" is to "deny her knowledge, ignore her wisdom, reject her unselfishness, impugn her faithfulness, and mock her courage. It is to suggest that mankind's passage into mortality was not the result of the free and informed choice of a noble parent, but a fortunate accident"'

Isn't that fantastic? Genius.

And there is a great part in the book on Lucifer's roll, and how he thought he was tricking, but really he got tricked. And how he has it out for women because of it. Really--it's things I've known, deep down, all along.

Women are fabulous. Much more fabulous than any of us realize. We are daughters of Eve--and in being so--embody all of the attributes she has. If only we could all KNOW this.

You have GOT to read it.

6 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

Oh wow! That gave me chills. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm going to buy this one...now.
:)

onehm said...

I'll be reading this one, thanks for the recommendation. :)

Micah and Jen said...

that sounds like a great book! I hate that people think it was all Eve's fault that Adam fell. I have never believed that and the 1st time I went to the temple I was assured 100% of that as I knew she knew what she was doing and was the stronger one of the two....to do what she did first. Amazing! And now I need to go and get this book! :)

Sheri said...

I went out and bought this book after you recommended it. It has been so empowering. Thanks. I'm going to read it with my daughters.

Sheri said...

...and son.

Sheri said...

Beverly Campbell once spoke at our stake conference (she's in our stake)about the priesthood. It was such a powerful talk that I still remember much of what she said. I love her!