Tuesday, April 19, 2011

That Day

PAYCHECK.

Hyrum got his first paycheck on Friday. So do you know what we did?

I got gas--A FULL TANK--which to some of you may seem like not a big deal. But my suburban has a HUGE tank. It takes so much gas that the gas pump automatically shuts off at $75. So I got $115 worth of gas. Exciting right?

AND THEN

I paid our bills--ALL OF THEM--some even a week ahead of the due date. Exciting right?

AND THEN

I got gas for Hyrum's car. And when I went to look at my bank account--i didn't apprehensively peek through my fingers. There was STILL money there.

SO

We went on a date. Not a dessert date in which we share $5 ice cream. A sit down to dinner date. And I ordered whatever I wanted. And it was delish--you should all check out Lolo's chicken and waffles. The collard greens were yummy.

AND THEN THE NEXT DAY

We payed our tithing--two paychecks worth. And it felt good. Real good. (**note-we always paid our tithing--we have a huge testimony on the blessings of tithing--it was just awesome to have so much to pay)

AND

We put money aside to take each of our parents out to dinner, and WE PAY. Wow I feel like an Adult. (which seems lame from my 35 year old mouth)

AND THEN TODAY

I bought tickets to this:



I read this to the older girls last summer and they LOVED IT. We love plays but rarely get to go to them because tickets are usually $15-$30. But $10. I can do that--occasionally--and especially for a play that the girls know the book. If you are not on Groupon yet--sign up--there are fantastic deals. And if you are going to sign up then CLICK HERE WITH THIS LINK It hooks me up with $10 whenever you make your first purchase. Just sign up--it's great.

SO

I know most people would go on a shopping spree or a major vacation. In fact at work, people asked Hyrum what he was going to blow his first paycheck on. And we laughed--because paying our bills--and having some left over--is way more of a high than blowing money on bullcrap.

Isn't that fantastic?

6 comments:

onehm said...

I'm so happy for you guys! You are so good at budgeting! You deserve this peace...and a little bullcrap too! :)

Crazymamaof6 said...

That is freaking awesome! Congrats on a real paycheck! One that pays the bills! What a huge relief i'm sure!

And a real date! Whoohoo that is a big deal!

I'm excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Tell me you had the Koolaid at Lolo's! That's the best part of the meal:) I was just thinking about buying those tickets for my kiddos, we are always pleased with Childsplay productions.

So happy for you!

Jenni said...

So excited for you guys!!!! I know it's been a long road.....but SOOO worth it! :) And gas is so dumb....wish we didn't need it. Makes me so depressed to pump $70 in one tank....blah! Congrats! And enjoy all the next checks just as much! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you guys and I can completely relate to "blowing your money" on bills and how good it feels! ;) You should send your story to Dave Ramsey. You guys are like SUPER STUDENTS or something. :)

Julia said...

Can I borrow some money?