Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent with me




Remember last year when I was Vegetarian for Lent? I did that because my end goal was to change my diet permenantly and make it to where I was eating meat only a few times a week. And it worked. It really made me change my thinking.

So what do I want to change in my diet now? Sugar. Refined sugar.

There is NO WAY I could go weeks without sweets. But I could go without refined sugars. I want to replace those with more natural alternatives that don't spike your blood sugars like they do.

So no sugar, no brown sugar, no high fructose corn syrup and no other things of the sort.

So on to alterntatives. Stevia, blue agavae and whatever else I can eat. I will be doing some research and I'll let you know.

So i challenged my group of buddies to join with me in Lent. If you know them you should ask them what they are giving up.

Sheri Denton, Marlo Lundell, Ashley Rogers, Molly Decrow, Cami Wright, Cicily Bowles, Kizzy Karas, Lindsay Jones (although technically she wasn't there that night)

So I challenge any of you---what is it that you want to change about your diet? Try it with me for Lent.

Thing is. Today is Fat Tuesday. The last day you can indulge and then tomorrow.

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Let's do this.

10 comments:

Sheri said...

I'm doing sugar. I'm scared.

Ashley said...

I'm doing soda. I'm petrified. When does Lent start? I gotta get me a Route 44 before then!

Ashley said...

PS- dates (especially medjool dates) are extremely sweet and all natural. They taste like brown sugar to me, and can be mixed into ANYTHING!!!)

Cicily said...

I'm giving up water, I think it's holding back my health progress. I'm carrying a minimum of 50 lbs. in water weight.
I'm doing refined things in general, sugars, carbs, things that make me feel nappy every afternoon.

Julia said...

Stop at Trader Joes, grab some dark chocolate whatevers, down them in the store and Fat Tuesday yourself into a massive stomach ache. Totally worth it even if you weren't giving up sugar for lent.

Mimi said...

OK! I'm in. Either I will give up Soda {still trying to talk myself into that one} or No eating after 8:30p.m. I'll let you know by tomorrow which I choose! Thanks for the head start, this will be good for all of us I'm sure.

heathermommy said...

I second the plug for medjool dates - simply awesome. If you go to my blog realmomhealthnut.blogspot.com I have a bunch of treat recipes without refined sugars and then I have a bunch of great food blogs linked on my sidebar with even more recipes.

Millie said...

I am giving up sex for lent!! This is going to be a real sacrifice.
Actually, I just finished the master cleanse I have not eaten anything in ten days!! So lent can kiss my white booty!

Good luck to everyone!

Alright, I hate being a party pooper- I'll do sugar.

logan t. daly said...

I'm giving up Lent for Lent.

Kiz said...

I'm in. I'm giving up sugar. Ya all know why:)