Friday, January 15, 2010

Passing the torch

Photobucket

Today Josie was running after Annabelle because Annabelle got out of the car before her at the bus stop and that's not kosher with her. So she jumped out and sprinted after her. Although Josie is faster than Annabelle, she wasn't able to catch up due to Josie having to shut the car door. So about half way across the retention park Josie stopped, slouched her little shoulders and walked slowly. Then I saw a 4th grade girl, and older sister to Josie's friend, come running towards her. Then she did it. What happened to me all throughout my growing years, even into my college years some. She picked her up, with ease and walked her toward the bus.

She is me . .. I thought.

She is tiny and light as a feather. I remember people, many people, in different situations picking me up. It would start with one person picking me up for some random reason and going, "Whoa you are so light". Then they would encourage others in the group to pick me up. And so whoever was around and felt so inclined, would pick me up all with a surprised look. Gasps on occasion. Not only was I short, but a feather weight.

I would get piggy back rides. In high school I had a friend who called me his "little jet pack" He would put his fists next to his chest thumbs up and I would jump on his back, hold on to his thumbs, and he would give me a ride to my next class.

These sort of things were normal to me. ABSOLUTELY NORMAL.

In college, it was mostly people making "Wow you are T-I-N-Y" comments. My free rides to class were over. But that is when I was given the name "Little Jill". In the small town I grew up in I was just Jill, no need to decipher between me or the other Jills. There were no other Jills. In fact, at the time I lived there you could have pulled into the gas station and asked, "Where does Jill live?" no need for a last name, and they would have pointed you down the street to where I lived.

I digress.

Anyhow, Little Jill, is what people called me. Well, mostly they called me Jill, but it was more like a reference. "Do you know Jill?" "Jill?" "Little Jill?" "Oh, yes"

So now I pass the torch. To my little Josie. I call her little Josie, so I'm sure everyone else will.

And maybe in high school she can score some free rides to class.

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

great post! and SHE'S DARLING!
how fun to be little.

i was always
"Julie. the tall one? yeah."
and i passed my torch onto Liberty. unwise choice in names for a girl who is going to be over 6 feet. AWESOME!

Ashley said...

That is the cutest picture! I hope to see it on your wall!

troy and melani said...

haha..love it!! Where does Jill live?? Ya that would have been my dad working at that gas station you mentioned! haha...Cute cute cute kids you have...of course!

Cicily said...

I can not even imagine a life like that.