Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Crap Pile



I have wood floors and since I don't really have to worry about any carpet gettting crusty from spills and crumbs I pretty much let the kids snack anywhere they want. And I let them take their toys all over the house. I am NOT an uptight house cleaner. I wish I were. I just let them play and spread their funk everywhere. Then when I can't take it anymore, I take a broom and sweep EVERYTHING into a crap pile. Clothes, books, crumbs, sippy cups etc. etc. I don't stop to pick up anything. So then all of the things that need to be picked up are in one location. Then I tell the kids that I have a crap pile and if there is anything they want to save from the trash they better go get it. And they do. Then I sweep the rest into my dust pan and throw it away.

It has simplified my cleaning process. And it doesn't feel as overwhelming to the kids to clean up.

Cic--I know you are probably dry heaving at the fact that I have this much crap to sweep up.

6 comments:

Hildie said...

This is what we do when we have to clean a bedroom. Shove everything into a giant pile and whittle away. I like the pile approach to cleaning.

Bing said...

I'm into the piling scene too, I do that with my bedroom-- everything on my floor, desk, beneath my bed, etc. goes in a big pile in the middle of the floor and then I have only that to deal with. Perfect! (If only I had a method of convincing myself to do this more often)

Crazymamaof6 said...

it makes me feel good yo know that you had a nice sized crap pile.

Crazymamaof6 said...

i was supposed to say 'it makes me feel good TO know that you had a nice sized crap pile.'

it makes you seem more real to me.

kayleen said...

if my boys can't find something the first place they look is in the trash. if it's on the floor when i vacuum, it gets thrown away. don't leave your crap on my floors. lesson learned.

lara said...

Jill, I love your sensible no-nonsense Jill-esque solutions. They're good and funny. I wish I had wood floors so I could have just one crap pile instead of many.