Friday, January 1, 2010

My word

Instead of the list of goals I never achieve, I pick a word for each year. A word to serve as a reminder of what is important and to focus on bettering myself. Last year's word was LISTEN. I did better, not best, but better. In the running for my word of the year was TOUCH. There are so many things that encompass touch, and being that I recently read the 5 love languages and determined that my husband's love language is Touch and mine is not--it's something I have to remind myself to do. (sad I know, but when you're touched all day by little hands, the last thing I think of to do is touch more). But touch could also lend itself toward service and connection. The reason it didn't win is because I think it would have been easy. And that is not the point is it? So . . . this year, my word (technically words):

BE THERE

Inspired by this talk given by Elder Hales. I've posted this talk before.

Here is an excerpt:

"Finally, be there. Each of us was there in the Council in Heaven to choose the great plan of happiness we now enjoy. Young men, when you have made a commitment to yourself, your family, your bishop, your employer, be there. When it is time to be in church, at Mutual, or fulfilling a priesthood assignment, be there. When it is time to graduate from school or training programs, be there. When it is time to serve a mission, be there. When the young woman you love most kneels at the altar of God’s holy temple, be there (and not as a witness). When your family is gathered in the celestial kingdom, be there. When the Savior waits to greet you as you return with honor from your life on this earth and your Heavenly Father wants to encircle you about in the arms of His love, be there."


So Be There it is.

Be There at mutual for my girls.

Be There (present minded) when my kids are on my lap or talking to me.

Be There when my husband gets home from work or school to touch.

Be There for friends who are talking (and incorporate last year's LISTEN)

Be There for me for scripture study, meditation and deep breathing (so I don't go crazy)

Be There at the gym.

Be There at the Temple once a month.

Be There whenever and wherever I am supposed to BE.

4 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

ooooh! This is a REALLY good one! I LOVE IT!

Cicily said...

I think that talk is amazing. Good goal, that's a tough one. You better listen to me next time we talk or I will be pissed.

Hy-5 said...

Boooo.
Go back to touch.

Jenni Coberly said...

I really like that. Thanks for sharing. I really struggle with just "Be There". My mind is always in the next place.

Our family took a long trek in the car for Christmas...from CO to CA...then...from CA to UT and then back to CO. Chris mentioned that we should check out Five Love Languages from the library and read it together...I took the hint. He too is touch. I have really been trying to do better...I was lowest in touch and about the same in three of the other areas. I did score highest by one point in Acts of Service...I'm sure you didn't need to know all of that about me. :) It is an interesting read and it's been nice to learn how to fulfill each others needs. Chris made our bed and the kids beds this morning. :)