Monday, September 15, 2008

That's Right . . . I said it

So, for a long time I have been wanting to start a new sort of blog post. More of a conversation, opinionated discussion among myself and anyone who wanted to comment. I am rarely offended, so when people completely disagree with me--and think I'm a lunatic, it doesn't bother me. In fact, I appreciate it. I listened to an NPR special once on how colleges used to be places where people debated topics from left to right and then left as friends. But with the advent of being "Politically Correct" it was no longer acceptable to be at complete opposites of the spectrum and keep the peace. So I've decided to display my opinions in hopes that others feel free to do the same. So if I spark an opposing viewpoint in you, great, leave me a comment. Just don't be a jerk about it. My goal it to be open and honest, and not apologize. It's what I think, it's my opinion. I'd love to hear yours. So join in, the more the merrier.

Topic #1

HURRICANES and other natural disasters.



So I was reading on MSNBC about the latest hurricane . . Ike. It sucks for those people that their houses and such were wiped out. But I was reading a post on how there were long lines of people in line for food, water and ice. I have to admit, I didn't feel too bad for them. Mostly because the comments of some of the people like so . .

"Why didn't they call for volunteers when they knew this was going to hit?" grumbled Irene Makris, who waited in line but was told to drive to a station in another part of Houston, closer to her neighborhood. "This is bull."

My questions were:

A) Why didn't she get out of town if she knew it was going to hit

B)Why didn't she stock pile her own food and water in case something like this hit--if you live in a hurricane prone area, it shouldn't be a shocker

C) Why is it someone else's responsibility to feed and shelter her, if there was clear warning?

I was raised in a very traditional, old school---take care of your own butt--philosophy. If I got hit by a hurricane, didn't leave, and wasn't prepared with food or water to sustain my life and I called my mother or father and whined, or said anything about it their response would have been:

"Whose fault is that?"

To which my reply would have been "um . . . mine" . End of conversation.

I understand there are times when natural disasters hit, and there is no warning. I also understand that it must truly suck to be somewhere where you home can be leveled in a matter of hours. But I would also understand, that if I did live somewhere like that I would for darn sure have a stockpile of food and water, and money. And if I could leave, I would. Then I can imagine the "waaa waa waaa" replies of "but what if you are just barely scraping by". Well guess what, if I'm barely scraping by, I do the best I can---Everyone can have a week's supply of food and water. Really---is it other people's responsibility to feed and shelter me? Nope, it's mine. I do believe in helping and donating and volunteering. But those people better be super grateful, and not entitled.

I feel a bit heartless and lacking in compassion. Or maybe I save it for people who attempt to take care of their own.

14 comments:

TheIsom8 said...

I love your comments! This is exactly how my husband and I were both raised and we feel the same way. It would be no different than if an earthquake hit here-if you aren't prepared for something you know is a possibility, then whos fault is that?

Anonymous said...

AMEN. I totally agree. Follow counsel of people smarter than you, and be prepared in the first place.

o said...

amen sister :)

Jenni Coberly said...

I love this new post. I always have an opinion and lots to say. With this subject I just have to say, here, here! You couldn't have said it better about entitlement. I hate it when people wait for disaster to hit and then they play the victim. I do think it is tragic, however, just be prepared, do the best you can and STOP whining!

Bear said...

So what if you have prepared? You have your Food, water and other necessary supplies and you boarded up your house and taken all the necessary precautions. You are not told to evacuate because the main part of the storm will pass to the east of you. So you stay and ride out the storm. Then in the middle of the night the storm becomes stronger than anticipated and your home is destroyed along with all your food and supplies. You've done everything asked of you and now you are at the mercy of the Government and volunteers. Whose responsibility are you now?

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. As for Bear's comment, I think that in that situation those people might NEED some assistance, but are not ENTITLED to assistance. I have a problem with people sitting around complaining and receiving service, but not getting up and offering what help they can at the same time.

Karen E. said...

Mosiah 4: 16-19

Cicily said...

I love it, bring on the discussion. I agree with you also Jill, although it is really easy to say that living in an area where natural disasters are not common. I wonder if my feelings would be different if I lived in a more volatile state. I hope I would still be prepared and heed the advice of public officials when they tell me to haul out. The government can only help so much and I think the feeling of entitlement comes when the government has been too reliable in the non-emergency times of life. Cut back and self- reliance will increase.

little jill said...

Wow I love the responses. And so prompt too, keep it coming.

Bear---Good point. I would assume that if you have prepared yourself, and then you get caught in it--it is the responsibility of the government to provide. But if it were me, I would be jumping in to volunteer that way:

A) I would probably get supplies needed

B) I wouldn't have time to sit around and complain about what the government is not doing for me.

C) If I was super prepared, I'd probably know where the best place for supplies would be--if mine were depleted.

Sheri said...

Wow, I really need to get my food and water storage going. Because even though I might really want to, I have no right to judge those people who weren't prepared and are now in desperate need. We've all been told to be prepared with a year supply of food and water, not just by a Prophet but also by the Surgeon General. And how many of us actually are. I'm not. So even though that woman’s attitude may irritate me, I can’t talk trash yo. I'd be in line too.

Sheri said...

... But also, complaining when volunteers are giving you free food and water is so ungrateful. That is annoying. What a brat.

Col.Smeag said...

It is unfortunate that theTexas Gulf Coast citizens are in it as bad as they, however they were told to leave. That said since Katrina hit the Big Easy FEMA has been running adds on TV and Radio to be prepared that the goverment can't get to yo for 3-5 days in a natural disaster. Imagine if they had shipped all the relief supplies to the center of the devistation and it got destroyed. They keep it well back. Even in Katrina they got to people when they said they could 3-5 days. It's not like Hurricanes have flight plans, what if it had been a unexpected event like 9/11. Good thoughts Jill and remember to breath! HEE HEE HOOO.
Dave

Randi said...

I couldn't agree more.
First time through your blog, and I have to just add my amen!

My 70 year old mother-in-law lives in Houston, and only got her power back yesterday. She had her food, water, a huge supply of jigsaw puzzles, and fortunately her cell phone worked.
She hasn't complained once, and in fact was so grateful when the bishop and some young men came with chain saws to cut the tree limbs out of her driveway.

If you prepare the best you can, things will work out.

Stacey said...

I stumbled across your blog and I happened to read this post.
I was hit by the hurricane and I share your sentiments exactly. No one gave me supplies, I took care of myself because my family comes first and I am not waiting on the government. I am very opinionated and I heard some of the comments by some people and it was mortifying to know that people all over are hearing these comments and probably thinking the same thing you are, it is an embarrassment to me. I was without power for 2 weeks but I did not lose my home but I was prepared, I had purchased a generator and a/c unit just in case. Thank goodness.