Monday, January 10, 2011

Alcohol of sorts

I want a beer.

I don't drink, never have, never will. But I get why people do. I also get why people become addicts. Because just when you think you can't take it anymore you can take something--alcohol--pills and just for the moment things get better.

Then once you see that it is that easy, you just turn to that instead of dealing with what's in front of you. Like two kids crying a super whiny cry--for no good reason. And them both trying to sit on your lap while knocking the other one off. Then them fighting over who gets to put their hand in the cereal box. And each stealing the other's toy just to tease, which ensues more crying. That super whiny, fake, tattling cry. And also, when the only thing that makes them stop for a short while is listening to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for the trillionth time. But then one shuts it off just to make the other cry. And then they both WONT STOP TOUCHING YOU.

And when you volunteer in your kid's classroom and grade worksheets and realize that your kid is not really measuring up. Not the worst kid, but not close to the best. And you realize that some of that is your fault. A lot of it is, because you don't like to drill your kids on things like math facts, and to ask comprehension questions at the end of books. And you realize that that is not the only kid you've failed. You're 0 for 2 in the supportive academic mom department. And you realize that you have to change things--which will make them whine, which makes you want that beer again.

And then your husband tells you that his supervisor wants to "talk to him." Which you know means either "you are fantastic we want to keep you on as a nurse and pay you a nice wage", or it means "we really aren't hiring now because of this here recession thing--good luck with that". The suspension is KILLING ME. Which heightens my senses and makes the above whining even more unbearable than usual.

And then there's so much crap in your closet that it makes you want to go naked instead of heading in there to get dressed. UGH, shoes all of the floor, a box of c.d.'s that was put in there months ago--that I don't even miss, and yet I feel the need to go through, a pile of fabric I will never sew with because I hate to sew, and a sewing machine that is broken--so I couldn't sew if I wanted to. And the old computer that is broken that you don't know where to put it because it might have some secret info on it that needs to be cleaned off. And don't forget the giant box of playdough purchased a year ago at Christmas--it belongs in there . . . right?

Did I mention the load of laundry looking at me? Dumb laundry. Like the giant quilt I have to wash because Beck was gagging himself for fun last night. The parenting technique I oft turn to (ignoring) backfired on me--and he barfed. Just on a small corner of it. But it has that retched stomach bile smell. So the whole GIANT thing has to be washed. And it wasn't on my list of laundry today that i have to do between 9 and 5 because I'm on the SRP savings plan--which only saves me about $20 each year--what am I doing that for again? .. . and what was I talking about? . . oh yeah---beer.

So I get it.

So I blog, instead of beer, instead of pills, instead of locking the kids in and running away.

Ah--I'm feeling the buzz.

11 comments:

troy and melani said...

Oh man, thanks for that great post...glad someone else feels like I do:)

Jeni Everett said...

Thank you for making my day. I loved your post! You took the words right out of my mouth. Instead of beer, I usually get a soda from QT. In fact, I am looking at a 32oz that I just bought. Good times. Tom says "hi" to you and Hyrum.

Lindsay Jones said...

Is it in the air or this time of year? I am sure feeling ya!

Kristin said...

I could have written this if I was clever like you and if blogging was as thereputic as a beer for me as it is for you!! I showed my hubby your new years card and he said, can we copy this???

Nicole said...

Amen! I love that you always say it like it is and voice what everyone else is feeling. Way To Go!!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

I like vodka. Screw beer. Really I should utilize my Prozac stockpile.

I feel ya. This crap plus mom guilt.

And homework times 5 and and and.

Sometimes being a grown up sucks. Where is my Prozac?

Hang in there, you aren't alone.

Julia said...

Funny, because it's true. Really, I would smoke. But instead, I eat. I'm trying to stop that little trend of stress eating - any ideas (besides smoking or beer)? Is this normal or am I way behind and a bad mom?: Finally took off my jammies at 7:30ish last night. Put them back on this morning to take the kids to school. Still in them now. Sink full of dirty dishes from last night's dinner, floor a mess, kids rooms are a HUGE mess, teeth not brushed and haven't showered since Friday. But hey...laundry is done. For now.

Janalee said...

loved this. exactly to the tee what I go through. It's good to see it laid out before me and know that it must be normal.

Snarky Belle said...

I.love.you.

And, thank you. You know for what. I'm sorry that I'm a tremendous failure, and didn't say thanks before now. Sorry! Forgive me? Please.

Jenni said...

ah, feeling the need for a beer around here too! THANK GOODNESS for blogging.....so we don't feel so alone in the world!:) Glad I am not the only one about redy to strangle a few kiddos at me house!!!!

Millie said...

the "suspension" is killing me too! Hahahaha. that is awesome!! can't wait for friday!