Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sincere Search

I am so sick of thinking about this. I decided to get more info from any/all of you. I know you either know some information or know someone who would know.

I REALLY want to switch schools. My kids are doing great where they are but it is so BLAH. I want a more well rounded approach to education. My neighborhood school is out.

I am seriously sick of thinking about this. I just wish it were easy.

So this is kind of where I am stuck right now.

Part of the reason I want to switch is that Annabelle is VERY creative. And I think her current schools is just not developing that. Also, she HATES math. She can do it, she just hates it. I think it is because her school is all about timed drills and math facts. They are not good at the application part. She said something to me once that made me realize she doesn't know WHY she does Math--she hasn't learned the application part.

I am considering Edu-prize in Gilbert.

This is what I know/heard/think so far:

Pros:
  • Colorful classrooms (fun stuff on the walls)
  • They integrate science, art, and language (I saw on their walls a project that was a representation of the kids learning about Arizona for science, so they painted an Arizona landscape, then wrote a poem about it and overlayed with with velum over their painting)
  • Small student/teacher ratio
  • High Parent involvement
  • They are an excelling school with high test scores
  • Nice facilities
  • Seem to encourage creativity
  • They have fun events for school where the kids show what they do, and get to do it creatively (her current school has NOTHING fun or creative)
  • I've talked to a parent at Edu-prize and they LOVE it.
  • It has tons of great reviews on greatschools.net
  • They have a garden

Cons:
  • No one in my ward/neighborhood that I know goes there. (right now I have it so easy, I know everyone at the bus stop and can have someone else get my kids if I need to)
  • No bus system--would have to drive every day
  • It seems too colorful and happy which I interpret as not serious about education--I am a very back to basics school theory sort of person, I just think their current schools is TOO much like that. I would really like to find a happy medium. I know I sound contradictory--that is why I need your help.
  • They have combo classes. 3/4, and 5/6. Annabelle is a lazy kid and I think she would regress/not challenge herself and just go with whatever is easier so I fear she won't be pushed. She is pushed at her current school and does well because everyone is doing the same thing.
  • My friend told me a story of when she worked at a public school a few years ago. She got a transfer student into her classroom from Edu-prize. In the child's folder he had excellent test scores and was supposed to be very smart, but she said he wasn't even reading at grade level. She said that other teachers in her school had had the same experience. They had discussed it and thought that Edu-prize shady and fed their kids test answers (or something like that). So that freaked me out.
  • Parents that have kids their LOVE it. And the scores are seriously unmatched. All of their performance is at 94% or greater for all of the subjects in the school. So that makes me question it--how do THAT many kids do so well, it seems to good to be true. And if I was a parent and my kids came home with those scores, why would I know any different? I would think my kid was doing great. I want to have a parent compare their Edu-prize kid with another kid that is at a good public school. Does that make sense?
  • They don't do Spalding Phonics which is how I learned and how my oldest two learned and they are so good at reading. And good with really difficult large words. (to be fair I don't know what they teach in their Kindergarten)
So what do I do? This may sound random, but I don't want my kids to have TOO soft of an elementary school experience. I don't want them to be so used to small focused classrooms that when they go to Junior High in a large public school, that they FREAK. Would that happen? Am I crazy?

See why I am so stuck? So what do you know? Who do you know? If you know anyone with a good or bad experience at Edu-prize send this link to them.

Or do you have any other suggestions?

Seriously, anyone with an opinion, good or bad, whether you know me or not.

Lengthy comments welcome.

I have got to make a decision. It is drivng me C-R-A-Z-Y.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't hurt to try it! Your a hands on mom, and you will know pretty quickly if it's not the right fit..and since the current school doesn't seem the right fit either...no loss!

Janet R. said...

Talk to Gaylene G. about Zaharis. They love it. And there is already an existing carpool, even though it is kinda far away.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, this is anonymous because I'm too lazy to sign in and you don't really know me anyway. If you want a public school, Highland Elementary is really good and does a lot with the arts but is academic as well. My kids don't go there (because there's a school 7 houses down from us) but lots of my friends do and I hear nothing but good things. Might be worth looking into.

Suz said...

My kids started out at Franklin. I liked everything about it except 2 things: (1)homework. I think my kindergartner shouldn't have homework after being in school for all day. Sorry. My 5th grader has as much as junior high kids. (2) people at Franklin think they are neater than other people. The kids come out well versed in the basics, but I don't think they are better than everyone else. So I took them and headed to eduprize because I liked the idea of shorter days, creativity, and year round school. After 2 months I pulled my kids out and took them back to Franklin. This is why: Class rooms are split classes and coming from a very organized school I found their rooms to be a zoo! My daughter was in 2 grades higher math class yet my son was in lower reading. They believe kids should "go at their own pace". Great idea, until you are mixed back in with kids held at a higher standard. Test scores are great! But any 2nd grader can pass 1st grade math. When I took them back to Franklin they were SOOOOOOO behind! Seriously! And they were top students before taking them out. I don't necessarily believe Franklin is the only school or best school on the planet. Definately not for one exploring creativity! But I would take a hard look at montassori or Hyland before I put my kids in Eduprize.
Good luck!

Cicily said...

If you are willing to drive a little ways, I would take them to Houston. Great public school. The area is good, the parents are good and they would get the real world experiences I think public schools offer. You know my feelings on Eduprize. Whatever you do, just be involved.

Anonymous said...

Jill-

Hey this is Heather, Lisa's little sister, long time no see :) I have a friend that is related to the owner of that Charter and I think his Mom used to work there as well. Email me (hworkes@gmail.com) and I will track down her email address, she may have some helpful information for you. Good luck!

jess said...

Jill...I have no knowledge of the schools in the area, but coming from a child development stand point, both types of schools could have benefits. Ask to sit in on the classes your kids would attend. Schedule a conference with teachers and address issues that you have...even the Franklin teachers. The tricky thing about the early years of education is that the primary goal is not always to have children reading or writing at a certain grade level, but that they are succeeding at learning to learn (if that makes sense). Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Jill- I know someone who would be a valuable source of info for you. She used to be a teacher at EduP.....email me and I will pass her information on to you :)
BTW this is Heather, Lisa's little sister, long long time no see:)
hworkes@gmail.com