Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mid baking confession



I have pumpkin shaped sugar cookies in the oven right now and they are due to come out in about 6 minutes.

Somewhere inside I hate to say this. I don't know if I think it makes me a bad mother, or that I wish I were that mother that wouldn't say the following . . .

I HATE MAKING COOKIES WITH MY CHILDREN.

Maybe it's because they are 7 5 and 3. I think if I just had the 7 year old helping, I'd be ok.

And sugar cookies. THEY ARE THE WORST!

I am baking sugar cookies for the ward fall festival tomorrow. I waited until the 1 year old was napping, so I'd have less to deal with.

I had 5 year old help out with the mixing. I did OK with that. She is in charge of turning on the Kitchen Aid when I tell her to, and she does pretty well. It's when she asked to help pour in the ingredients that the tension in my shoulders started. The flour she got MOSTlY in, it was that titch that fell out onto the counter, onto her pants and bit on the floor that made me audibly growl.

But that was OK.

But now, now is the worst part. The rolling out. "mom can I help" and I want to say "Yes dear, just come over here and I'll stand behind you with the rolling pin and you between my arms standing on a chair and we'll roll together". But all I think is . .. "NNNOOOOOOOO PLEASE NOOOOOO". So far I just keep telling them . . in a minute.

While I was trying to get my pumpkins that were slightly sticking to my surface up and to the cookie tray I glanced over and saw 3 year old rolling her slices of lunch meat ham around in the flour residue with my rolling pin. GGGRRRRR.

So I cleaned that up---as much as possible. And told her she was banished. BANISHED. But she hung around and took hand fulls of flour out of my flour jar and spread it on the other half of my clean kitchen island and some on the floor for me to clean up later.

Then, I caught 5 year old licking, and I mean a slobbery kind of lick, the spatula I was using to pry up those cookies that were stuck just a little to my rolling surface. Then out of my mouth came " For Real?? would you want some other kid licking a spatula and then making cookies for us to eat?" And I got a big blank face. She probably would like it. What does she care? Just earlier she had said that she'd clean up the pretzel mess the younger siblings had made while she was at school, by eating them off the floor. and she did.

Well there is the beep. I'm off to roll more dough, and take deep breaths to lower my blood pressure.

And for those of you coming to the ward Fall Festival, I washed the spatula.

10 comments:

Christian Asplund said...

I've discovered that cooking with kids is great, but baking is not because of the numerous steps. My fave thing is letting the kids "chop" vegetables with butter knives and their own chopping board and bowl. It takes forever for them to cut up a small piece of carrot or zucchini and then put it in their little bowl, and if you're making a soup or pasta or whatever, the few little oddly shaped pieces don't matter. They love it when you dump their bowl of veggies into the soup or salad.

Snarky Belle said...

I think the fact that you make fabulous breakfasts for your kids totally trumps the baking of cookies! :)

And, for what it's worth (which to most people would be not much at all, but who cares) I think you are a wonderful mother!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

OH thank you for admitting this. seriously i hate baking with my kids too.
1 kid in can handle. it's all of the kids helping and bickering adn shoving that i just can't get over. and me and 1 kid alone just doesn't happen. or it hasn't until recently.
before now I've been a late night baker. all alone after everyone is gone to bed if i have the energy i bake.

Snarky Belle said...

And, I forgot to ask: What does it say about me that not only do I fail miserably with b'fast at least 5 out of 7 days, I love to bake(ALONE!)...nevermind, please don't even answer that. I already know I suck bigtime.

onehm said...

I must say that...at least you were baking the cookies. Even if you were hating it you were doing it. You score major mama points for that!!

Rachel Cunningham said...

I was so happy when I read this post because I have felt so much guilt over not liking my kids in the kitchen when I bake. And you are right, sugar cookies are the worst. I make them like once a year and then I remember why I never make them.

Sheri said...

Now that I'm a mom I know why my mom always sent me off to clean house instead of helping with the cooking. Cooking with kids sucks. But you have to do it or they'll be completely helpless in the kitchen... like me. :(

Kindy said...

I completely understand every feeling you have about making sugar cookies with kids. Way to go!

Micah and Jen said...

Diddo! And as far as sugar cookies go.....we buy the premade ones at wal-mart or the ones from pilsbury with the pumpkin face on it. Not cute....but makes EVERYONE happy and no mad mommy! :) I'm sure they turned out great!

Janalee said...

totally. Anyone who says they "just love baking with their children" is living in la-la land. I've written a couple posts on this subject.