Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What my leader said about me

Now that I am in Young Women's and over the Mia Maids as an advisor (non-mormon terms--I'm a leader to the 14 and 15 year old girls) I realize what my leaders must have said about me. Here is what I imagine to be their meetings:



Leader #1: Ok, let's go through all of the girls and discuss how they are doing . . . ok Jill . . . I'm a little concerned about her, she's still going out with that boyfriend and it's been a year or so now

Leader #2: Yikes

Leader #1: She seems to be ok, she's in the presidency and she comes to all the activities. She talks alot to her best friend during class, but other than that she's pretty good.

Leader #2: I saw her at school the other day when I was picking up my daughter. She had a pretty small skirt on.

Leader #1: Well she is small

Leader #2: No this was like doll size small. It was stretchy cotton and I think it would probably barely fit around my bicep. I bet if I folded it up into a square, it would fit into my back pocket.

Leader #1: You know, I heard that at the Lake at Spring Break she had a tube top bikini. Do you think we should say something?

Leader #2: Would it matter? She'd probably do it anyway.

Leader #1: True True.

Leader #2: She makes me a little nervous, but she also seems like such a good kid. I hope she's making good decisions. All we can do is love her and try to get through to her during our lessons.

Leader #1: I have a lesson on Modesty on Sunday, should I mention that Tube Tops aren't modest (chuckle chuckle), or foldable cotton skirts (chuckle chuckle, nudge)

Leader #2: Maybe you should wear a tube top to teach the lesson, that might scare her out of ever wearing it again, or ask her to borrow the skirt and put it on as a headband--point made.

Leader #1: Now that's a good idea.

Leader #2: Ok, on to the next girl, how is Lisa?

9 comments:

Mimi said...

Did we have the same leaders?

Micah and Jen said...

um HILARIOUS! I think we ALL have that going on when we are that age! Congrats on being back in Y.W. I hope to never have that calling...I wasn't a huge fan the first time around! :)

Anonymous said...

Miamaids...YIKES! My least favorite of the YW! Beehives are so happy to be in mutual they love you, and Laurels are over it, so they don't feel like they have to hate you just on principle...Miamaids though...GOOD LUCK!! (I'm sure they will love you- they like hip leaders!)

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog. You are hilarious. My comments are general and not directed at you. I was for sure the topic of those concerned conversations. I swore if I ever became a YW leader I'd remember how it felt to be a "concern", and try not to deal with those certain girls the way I was.

Here's what I remember. Teenagers aren't oblivious. They know when they're being targeted. And surprise, they don't like it. It can even push a sensitive young person away from the Gospel. A derogative discussion about any girl, though intended to be helpful, is futile and can be hurtful. Even if they never find out what exactly is said about them, they can feel it. Let the girls grow out of their phases. Leave the modesty and attendance battles to their parents. Being a teen is hard. They need a friend and an example. Most teens are going to rebel at least a little, so that they can figure out for themselves that the Gospel is true and living it is actually a very good idea. Better to lean that now than later.

My unwanted advice; Give the youth the memory of being loved and accepted no matter what they wore or did, so that if they stray, the sting of gossip and the hurt of judgement will not deter them from coming back.

(Oh yeah, and don't hunt them down in the parking lot or bathroom. It's not the leaders job to force them to go to their classes.)

Snarky Belle said...

Best of luck with the girls...I think I must have issues because I actually enjoyed working with MiaMaids. What's wrong with me??

("Hey sista, soul sista"...I did end up buying the Target plates!)

DeAnne Baum said...

That is GREAT! I remember those days all to well. Good luck in YW.

Lisa said...

I've never looked back to think about what my leaders may have been concerned about with me. but this was very entertaining and fun to think back to the days of our youth and life in general at that time.
Good luck with the calling. The way I remember you... I think you'll be one of those 'favorite' leaders who is thought of as fun, hip and makes things exciting and memorable.

troy and melani said...

oh lucky you!! YW can be alot of fun, but scary as well!! haha. I'm sure you wont have the isses we have our here in crazy land..man do i have stories! You are so funny, and so true about the leaders though!

Brendon said...

We were pretty docile in High School can you imagine if we had leaders in College. Um, they're out all night and go to clubs and hang out with questionable people.