Thursday, February 3, 2011

Battle of the Sickses

I had to put it to a vote. I have two friends with families that are currently experiencing two very different ailments. I have discussed it with both of them, and each thinks that their situation is worse than the others. I have an opinion, but I'll leave it for later as to not influence the vote.

Family #1--Flu



Fact: Mom, Dad and 3 year old son have the Flu. So everyone is useless. They are on Day 5

Her side of the story: Fever, chills, bundled up all day under covers, liquipoo, stomach ache, head ache, sore all over, horrendous cough, runny nose, coughing up boogers, can't move, must wash all of the things in the house that anyone touches

Her quote: "I think unless you've had a fever recently it's hard to remember how horrible it is"



Family #2--Lice



Fact: 4 kids under 7 all with lice. Mom has it too--Dad does not. Also on Day 5

Her side of the story: Has to wash everyone's hair once a day, and sit through and pick out the lice from each strand of hair. They grab on, so you have to grab them at the roots and pull to the end of the hair. (so she chopped off the girl's hair). Takes about an hour per kid--of them having to sit still. Must wash every sheet in the house everyday. Had to bag up all stuffed animals and similar toys and put them in trash bags to sit out in the garage for 3 weeks so the kids toys are taken away. Has to keep the kids off the carpet in case there are lice in there, a sheet is placed down on top and the kids have to sit on it.

Her story: "I am not a bug person so pulling on those things makes me want to vomit"

I have kept the people anonymous--so if you figured out who they are don't mention them.

So who has it worse?

Cast your vote!

13 comments:

Lenor said...

flu trumps lice any day of the week

onehm said...

I say lice, fer sure!!
I am in agreement with the bug comment, absolutely!

Anonymous said...

I'm so disturbed at the prospect of either. I'm going to go with FLU... however I abhore lice and if I were faced with that it might push me to the brink of sanity. So for your nameless families I choose FLU... but if it were ME I'd say Lice.

Really helpful, right? ;)

Ashley said...

LICE! LICE! LICE!

Paula said...

I would say flu because you at least feel good. There is nothing worse than having to carry on with all your responsibilities as a mom and being sick.

Paula said...

Okay I just read what I wrote and it doesn't make sense. What I meant to say is that with Lice you at least feel good even though it is a lot of work and kind of creepy.

Rachel Cunningham said...

First let me just say that I'm counting my blessings right now that neither one of these is me.

I'm going with the flu being worse because I would much rather deal with lice bugs than bodily fluids any day.

Jenni Coberly said...

Lice, for sure!! It would be SO much work. I know the flu makes you feel awful, but you can just lay there and feel miserable. Lice would be so terrible. I hate that it seems to really be making a comeback. I haven't heard of any cases here in CO, but I hear it is terrible in CA. :(

Anonymous said...

LICE, hands down - mainly because of the stigma that goes along with it. Remember having "lice checks" in elementary school? In my mind I think: "Anyone can get the flu, but only dirty people get lice." I know that's wrong, because I know who you're talking about and they are anything but dirty.

Anonymous said...

Did someone seriously say that you can just lay there when you have the flu? Are you freaking crazy? Who takes care of the rest of the sick family, who has to wash bedding, make meals, and try to help everyone feel well? I want to stay at your house next time I have the flu, sounds like an amazing place. I would love to lay around and be sick, I've never heard of such a thing.

Mimi said...

I seriously don't know. They both sound awful! I'd have to have gone through both situations before making that kind off judgement call. But I know who has the lice and I'm sure she personally would much rather it be the Flu that she had to deal with. That makes it all the worse to have to deal with when you are crazy grossed out by bugs and anything of that nature.

Poor little ones having to get their hair cut. I know it was their mommas love to do their pretty long locks of hair everyday.

Great post, thanks for making us think. Now I want to know who the other family is. I'll count my blessings that the only sick ones around here are 2 out of 5 and we were able to somehow dodge the lice thing.

Julia said...

At the end of last month, I had the flu for 5 days. It was horrible! I could barely take care of my 5 kids, one of them isn't even 2 months old. I hurt so bad I wanted to cry - but hurt too bad to do it! That being said....I think lice is the WORST. Washing all you belongings, spraying down your furniture, carpets, drapes, shower curtains...anything and everything that lice can 'attach' to. That is way worse than the flu. Twice the amount of work - with no meals coming from friends and family!Now my son has the flu and I know just how he feels: horrible. At least it's not lice (or worms, uh)!

Anonymous said...

So who won?