Tuesday, July 27, 2010

National Debt

The national debt FREAKS ME OUT. I want some sort of "Dear Government, get us out of debt, I have to live on a budget and so should you" sort of T-shirt I could wear everywhere everyday. I am pretty extreme in my how I think the government should cut spending. You could call it heartless, I just call it drastic. We are at that point.

Like why are we sending aid to all of these countries that are experiencing natural disasters and to poor countries that need vaccinations? I think they need help, but we don't have ANY money. We are putting donations on a credit card. We give aid to almost everyone. But seriously, it's time everyone gave aid to us. We are like the rich guy who lives in the rich neighborhood and drives the brand new Jaguar and wears brand new name brand clothes and goes on elaborate vacations, and then you notice one day there is a foreclosure notice on his house and people are repossessing his crap like gangbusters. Turns out that guy didn't really have any money.

Now before you think I'm absolutely heartless, I'm not. My degree was in non-profit health and human services, and I KNOW that the American people take care of themselves and others by donations and service. That is how things should be. And why does America always have to be the ones that swoop in and help everyone. It's time that we take a back seat and say, "Guess what--we aren't in a position to help everyone right now" "But call China, they are ready to step up onto the world stage and help everyone" Why is it ALWAYS America? I am not naive to say that no other countries send aid. They do, but we usually send the biggest chunk. Really. Let's play a game of Tag. Tag E.U., Tag Japan, Tag South American countries, Tag Canada. Please step in for us until we get back on our feet, then when we are debt free and living on a balanced (or surplus--nah never) budget then we would happy to let you tag us back and we will be the leaders yet again.

Also, get us out of war---that's expensive, quit spending to fix our economy (part of my theory is that America is spending so Americans are not--it scares them), reduce the size of government and hand it back to the people (that is what our founders dreamed of), create a law that says that the budget must be balanced or all overspending comes from the incomes and retirement of the politicians (that might put a fire under their butts now wouldn't it?).

But that is never going to happen, we are too busy vacationing in Bali. (Thanks for fronting us the money China--your I.O.U. is in the mail)


p.s. The reason I'm thinking about this TODAY is because I went HERE and read what my debt free hero had to say on the subject. Make sure to listen to the audio part.

FIRE THEM ALL!!!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Here! Here! I want one of those t-shirts too....though I doubt many Idahoans would even notice!

Anonymous said...

For real. I don't know why the government isn't held to the same standard as we the people are.

Nicole said...

Amen! It's amazing that most Americans are oblivious to this stuff and are just waiting for the "bail-out." Give us back the America our founding fathers made for us.

Kristin said...

amen! you said it sister!